Monday, July 7, 2008

The Word going forth...

I woke up this morning to a howling wind. For me, the stronger the better. I love the wind. And there was a light mist in the wind, which made it even better. On my way to Broadford, I just had to pull off the side of the road and stand in the blustering wind and thank God for His power and grace. I want to have the fresh wind of the Spirit on me the whole time I am here...for His glory!

Well, it has been a week since I was able to add to the blog. I was staying in Broadford until the Snizort manse was made ready for occupancy. I had access to the internet, there, but as of yet I do not even have a phone at the new manse. I have been told that one is in process. Every country has its own version of "red tape", and I think the phone system here embodies theirs'. Anyway, I am back in Broadford for the day, due to a funeral.


Ben Johnstone, the pastor of the Sleet Parish, is away in Italy for a wedding (thus, enabling me to stay in his home while away) and he had asked me to cover for him in the case of emergencies or funerals. Guess what? I will be doing my first funeral in Scotland. Though the man was highly respected and considered a wonderful gentleman and church-goer, there is no evidence that he ever made a personal commitment to Christ, in a public way. His family, his surviving children were equally warm and cordial to me (I am sure they never dreamed that their father would be presided over by a foreigner...though they did comment on the fact that, given the fact that my name did have Scottish origins, made them feel like I was sorta homefold). None of them have ever made a confession of Christ and I was able to share the Good News of Christ's saving grace. They gave me permission to say whatever I felt led to at the service tomorrow, so we will have a evangelistic service!! Praise His name!! As I told them, God desires that life come out of this death. The service is Tuesday, July 8, at twelve noon. For those of you reading this, that means if you are wanting to pray for the service, you will have to do so before you go to bed tonight, otherwise you will be praying ex post facto.


The manse that I am staying in, in Kensaleyre, is a two story home, with, get this, five bedrooms, a huge study, 2 1/2 baths, a huge kitchen, tons of storage space, a wash room, garage and a view that would be worth it if it were just a one room house. I will be there this month and then I will go to, what is referred to by others as, an even nicer house, in Dunvegan. I will be there in August and September, while Linda and her family come for a visit.




I preached in two churches yesterday...Uig and Arnisort. Each church had about 25-30 present and there was a warm reception by both to the Word of God. Over the course of the next three weeks, I will be preaching three times on Sunday and leading a Bible study at the midweek prayer service in Kensaleyre.



Please attend yourselves to Colossians 4:2-4. When you pray, pray this passage on my behalf.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dr. Calhoun.
I'm gonna move out there and stay in that house.
It sounds big enough for JoAnn and I, and the kids.
My prayer for you this morning, 7/8/08 @ 6:10 am is that you will speak all that God Himself puts in your heart, and for there to be no fear.
I miss you sir. I can see your face in the way you speak.
I love you, your son in Christ....
Ken Williams

Tom Nolan said...

Well Robert it sounds like your vacation is going great. What with over weight luggage that wasn't checked to your destination, to wallking miles to retrieve it and waiting for BA to open to recheck it and logding with no furniture and cold blowing wind with mist....what more could you ask for. Hope you didn't waste a lot of time packing sun screen. Miss you and shot 94 at the Republic with a 10.
Enjoying the blog......Tom

Anonymous said...

Dr.Calhoun,
All things are working together for God's glory in your life! I praise God that He is doing so!Trust Him. He is Elohim and our Adonai!He is Sovereign and in control! Still learning about His Name, the many Names, and He provides Everything for His children!To His Glory Amen!

Jeanie Solomon