Monday, July 28, 2008

The Scarey Sheep


July 24
The last two days completes the weather cycle here: rain, rain and mist, rain and wind, rain and wind and mist, cold wind and rain, warm wind and rain, wind and stronger wind, sunshine through clouds and wind, sunshine and rain at the same time through clouds, … I think you probably get the idea. (Check out my clothes on the line...horizontal with the ground...the wind dried them in about 20 minutes.) Every imaginable permutation of weather possibilities has made my stay. I especially like to hear the howling wind and rain at night. It is so strong, sometimes, that the windows and doors whistle. Though I have to admit that the other night I did get a slight fright.

Apparently, the back door light is driven by motion. I switched it on the other night before going to bed and when the light did not come on I thought the bulb was burnt out and I just left the switch where it was. Later, the wind and light rain was giving the manse a going over. I got up to go to the bathroom at about 1:30 am. While in the bathroom, a light started shining in. And then it went off. And then it came on again. It was like someone had a flashlight moving back and forth in the windows. The windows are a kind of warped texture for privacy and so I couldn’t look out and see what was going on. I realized that the light outside probably had a short in it and that the wind was affecting it. So I got back in bed. This is the only time that I have been unnerved by this big, creaky house. As soon as I got back it bed, the light started coming on again, but this time it would stay on a little longer than before and now there was noise! I had seen an old broom handle under the stairway and so as I moved my way to the back door, I saw the light come on and heard a loud noise. I said, “OK, Lord, be my strength and shield.” I quietly unlocked the door and gave it a huge pull, giving out a loud scream as I did (why I don’t know). At that moment three living things gasped for breath: me and the two sheep, who had been eating grass outside my door. I think they were more frightened than me, because the smaller of the two literally left his feet and then both were off in a flash. I wish that I had had my camera in my hand instead of the stick to have captured the looks on their faces, although any picture taken of them would have blurred because of their speed. I stood there and laughed out loud. Fortunately, the nearest neighbor is two hundred yards away…although I am not sure that they didn’t hear some of the noise.

The last two days have been absolutely stunning weather-wise. Accept for a few very high altitude clouds, there is only a blue sky. And it is quite warm…probably in the high 70’s. And so, you might ask, what am I doing sitting in the manse’s kitchen writing a “blooming blog”? Well, I am going on another hike, later this evening with Billy and Helen MacRea. I had a couple of visits this afternoon that have hindered me from being out to enjoy this today.

I visited a man, who is known by many in the community that has terminal cancer. He is not a believer and I was asked to go see him. He and his wife were very welcoming and friendly. As we visited, I discovered that they had been visited by several people interested in their salvation. As I wove John 10:10 into our conversation, giving insight as to what it meant to have a personal relationship with God, through His Son, Jesus, they became agitated. Not in a hostile way, but to the point of changing the subject. I tried to move back to who Jesus was and why He died, but they would not have it. We continued to visit and then the wife said that she needed to get supper ready for her bed and breakfast guests. I asked if I could pray with them. The man grudgingly agreed, but the wife actually seemed eager. As I prayed, I heard her sniffling and when I finished tears were running down her cheeks. She was obviously touched by the Spirit. As soon as I finished, the man got up and quickly left the room. She, however, briefly chatted and said I was welcome at any time to come back for a visit. I believe that a seed was planted for someone to harvest at some point in the future. God be praised.


The services at Uig, Arnisort and Kensaleyre on Suday and then the Wed. night prayer service will end my stay in the Snizort Parish. It has been thoroughly refreshing to be here and to get to know the people as well as I have in one month. The Lord has been at work through His Word and I have learned so much about what great people of sincerity, graciousness and hospitality they truly are.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello There: I just read through all the latest reports and pictures and I just had to "confess and repent" of the sin of envy.ha-ha I;m sure you are aware of how blessed you areto be there and to see and experience allthat you are. I just loved the story of the sheep!!!You really could be a writer, I believe. I am faithfully praying for you and a few days ago the Holy Spirit gave me a vision from the parable of the sower. I saw you going about all over Scotland throwing out "seeds" that truely one day will produce much fruit. I know you and Linda will have a great time as you show her all the beauty God has allowed you to see and experience. Just know you are loved greatly and prayers are going up daily for your work for Jesus that you aredoing daily. BW